Saturday 25 January 2014

How often should I wash my running shoes?


Somewhere down the line your running shoes are going to get filthy. Be that via a culmination of local jogs in the mud & rain, or maybe thanks to a dedicated ‘Mud run’ or obstacle race (be prepared, you get muddier than you think) or perhaps the dreaded stink that arises from a sweaty exercise shoe. Either way you’ll ask “Can I wash my running shoes?”

On the surface, this may seem to be a silly question but NO-ONE seems to be able to give a straight answer to this. Scrolling through forums you’ve got runners who NEVER EVER wash their shoes (cue subsequent postings from other runners exclaiming surprise) and then those who wash them quite regularly (again cue subsequent post from other runners exclaiming surprise). Either way, when many of us are spending quite a substantial wedge of cash on a purpose-built shoe the last thing you want is to damage them and have to spend out on another pair. 

The concern is that immersion in water will change the designed shape of your running shoe and therefore substantially alter the level of support it’s able to give you. For this reason I personally try to avoid having to wash my shoes as much as I can (ewwww) and running through puddles is always a good method. If I do have to wash them this is achieved by unthreading the laces and removing the insoles and lightly sponging the outside of the shoe with a jay cloth and using a toothbrush to remove any substantial dirt and grime. I don’t dunk them in water or leave them to ‘soak’.

That said I have been on ‘mud runs’ with mine and when you get back a toothbrush alone just ain’t gonna cut it. Try to get as much off after your race event as you can. When you get in (before crashing on the sofa) take the shower head to them and spray off as much as posiible. Once mine were particularly bad and I’ve thrown them into a pillow case and used the washing machine on a gentle cycle to get the job done. They were ok afterwards but I wouldn’t recommend using that method as a regular thing.


As for drying I’ve never used the tumble drier – a lot of people are agreed that the heat can ‘warp’ the shoe and the preferred method is let them dry naturally (not near a radiator) with a rolled up washcloth or papertowels inside (regularly swapped over) to absorb moisture and keep the shape of the shoe. Tried and tested I’d argue this is the best method - happy running.

No comments:

Post a Comment